The Gold Coast Hinterland
The Hinterland provides a magnificent and contrasting backdrop to the coast's golden beaches. With lush rainforest, rustic cafes, spectacular views, picturesque wineries, quaint villages and beautiful walks, this vast mountain chain is the Gold Coast's best kept secret.
The Hinterland contains amazing National Parks and nature reserves. From Tamborine Mountain in the north to Lamington and Springbrook National Parks in the south, the area offers breathtaking views and natural wonders. Meander along cascading waterfalls, gorges and escarpments of the extinct volcano. You will find plenty of interpretive information throughout the parks.
The villages of Mount Tamborine, North Tamborine, Eagle Heights, Canungra, Beechmont and Springbrook are known for their character and rich rural landscapes. On your way to these towns, you can stop at some remarkable lookouts which offer wide panoramas to Surfers Paradise, South Stradbroke Island and Mount Warning National Park.
These charming townships boast a surprising number of restaurants and cafes. Here you will be surrounded by country craft cottages and historical buildings. Fruit plantations, country markets and art and craft galleries are a few other attractions to experience. Gallery Walk on Mount Tamborine is a real treat for art lovers, shoppers and people who just want to relax.
The Hinterland also boasts several wineries, where you can sample boutique wines or eat a full meal amidst stunning vineyards.
If don't feel like doing the driving, plenty of organised tours operating from the Coast are available. Why not make the most of the knowledge and experience that the local professional day tour operators can offer?
How to get there
The Hinterland is vast, so there are of course many places to go.
To reach Mount Tamborine: take the Oxenford exit off the Pacific Highway and follow the signs to Mount Tamborine.
To reach Canungra: take the Southport-Nerang Road exit from the Pacific Highway, and follow Beaudesert-Nerang Road.
To reach the Lamington area: take the Nerang-Broadbeach Road exit from the Pacific Highway and follow the road toward Beechmont.
To reach the Springbrook area: take the Mugeeraba Road exit from the Pacific Highway and follow Gold-Coast-Springbrook Road towards Numinbah Valley.
- Venture out on the Treetop Walk at O'Reilly's
- Go horse riding in the subtropical rainforest
- Explore one of the numerous walking trails in Springbrook National Park, Lamington National Park, and the Purlingbrook Falls
- Admire the arch of Natural Bridge
- While driving up the mountain, stop at spectacular lookouts for breaktaking views of the valley and the coast
- Enjoy bird watching
- Browse through quaint arts and crafts galleries
- Stroll along Gallery Walk, Mount Tamborine
- Have lunch and an ale in a country pub or Devonshire Tea in one of the many cafes
- Sample local wines at one of the local vineyards